From September to May when the weather is cooler, Scotland has a fantastic series of cani-sports races, timed runs and events in great spots around the country. The events are friendly and full of like minded people who love running with their dogs. Some of these are multi-day events with camping and are a great way to meet other canicrossers. If you don’t think races are your thing, give one of these a go and you’ll change your mind! Many of our members’ first ever races were cani-cross races.
We currently organise one race a year in November at Foxlake near Dunbar and two timed runs and BBQ at Vogrie Country Park in the evening. It is a great way to get to know the Vogrie route, get a baseline time that you can try and improve at later timed runs and use as a entry time for races and to get used to canicross signage. If you’re nervous about entering races this is a perfect way get a feeling for races. CSE events are in red in the calendar below. REMEMBER to put your club down as Cani-Sports Edinburgh from the drop down box when you’re entering 🙂 and pop along to our merchandise section for your red tops.
We have some great race reports to inspire you: Sue & Rickyjim at Ruff Dugger, Amber & Sampras first ever race at Foxlake and for a canine perspective Oscar and Kali and running with a reactive dog at the CSS event at Coalsnaughton from Linzi & Indi.
Below are some of the canicross events in Scotland.
2017/18 Race Calendar (organiser in brackets)
- 19th August 2017 Ruff Dugger @ Craufurdland (Cani-Fit who also have a series of informal timed runs where you can try out kit and eat cake. Go to their website to see when upcoming ones are.)
- 2nd September 2017 Dalraddy (Highland Cani-crossers)
- 16th/17th September 2017 Coalsnaughton (Cani-Sports Scotland)
- 23rd or 30th September 2017 – possible date for our twice yearly evening timed run at Vogrie and BBQ.
- 7th/8th October 2017 Cani-Fit Experience @ Boswell Coach House (Cani-Fit)
- 28th October 2017 Jedburgh (CSS)
- 5th November 2017 Tentsmuir (Dundee and Angus Canicross have an informal 5k series)
- 19th November 2017 Dunbar (Cani-Sports Edinburgh)
- 26th November 2017 tbc (CSS)
- 3rd December 2017 Tentsmuir (Dundee and Angus Canicross)
- 10th December 2016 Lochore (CSS)
- 7th January 2018 Tentsmuir (Dundee and Angus Canicross)
- 14th January 2018 Muiravonside (Cani-Sports Scotland)
- 4th February 2018 Tentsmuir (Dundee and Angus Canicross)
- 18th February 2018 Mugdock (CSS)
- 18th March 2018 Plean (CSS)
- 31st March/1st April/2nd April 2018 Fur Nations @Pembrey/Wales (Canix have a Fur Nations Cup – represent your country! – there is a Scotland kit that could be available to buy by keeping an eye close to the time on the CSS Facebook page or by burrowing from fellow CSE members)
- 20th/21st/22nd April 2018 Strathallan Castle (CSS)
- 5th/6th/7th May 2018 Fur Nations @Glamis Castle (Canix)
- tbc May 2018 Black Dog/Fife (CSS)
- tbc May 2018 – possible date for our twice yearly evening timed run at Vogrie and BBQ.
- 26th/27th/28th May 2018 Fur Nations @Cannock/England (Canix)
Also the Sled Dog Association of Scotland has a race calendar of events which include dog sledding, scootering, bike-jour and canicross. Events in Scotland happen at a variety of locations such as Tentsmuir Forest in Fife, Culbin Forest in Moray, Ford Estate in the Scottish Borders and at Bowlands Trails in Perthshire. Dates for 2017/18 can be found here.
From November to March in East Lothian the Foxtrail Winter Running Series has a race roughly each month with distances from 10k to half marathon distance. Canicrossers are welcome and participate in best practice (starting a few minutes behind other runners and not considered for podium positions – parkrun lines are advised). The races that canicrossers can’t participate in are the night races, ultras and the 5k series. Most of the routes are on trails and beaches. More information here.